Twitter Spaces: How Audio Chat Rooms Are Changing the Social Media Landscape
Twitter has always been known as a social media platform for short-form posts. As a digital marketer, you must have used it to create brand awareness and boost engagement.
In 2020, Twitter started rolling out Twitter Spaces. This is a feature for a live audio chat. Anyone can join, listen, and speak in a Twitter Space on apps for iOS and Android.
A Twitter Space is an authentic voice chat that occurs in real time. A Twitter user can start a Twitter Space on any topic. Twitter Spaces can vary in size, ranging from small and intimate spaces to those with millions of listeners. For instance, a Space may be created exclusively for a small group of beta testers, while another may host a debate on current issues, attracting thousands of listeners.
Benefits of Using Twitter Spaces
For marketers, there are several benefits to using Twitter Spaces as part of their campaign strategy.
- Reach new audiences: Twitter Spaces allows you to connect with new groups of users that may not be as active on the social media platform. They may be happy to participate in a voice chat instead. With a Twitter Space, you can expand your reach and attract new followers and customers.
- Establish thought leadership: Hosting a Twitter Space can be a potent way to create brand awareness and establish thought leadership. A voice chat on Twitter Spaces can throw up valuable insights. As a marketer, you can establish your brand as an expert.
- Community engagement: The audio chat on Twitter Spaces can help you to create a sense of community and engagement with your audience. The real-time conversations create connections on a deeper level.
- Real-time feedback: You already know the importance of accurate customer feedback. With Twitter Spaces, this feedback occurs in real-time. It can be valuable for tweaking marketing strategies, testing versions of new products, and enhancing customer service.
- Influencer collaboration: You can host a Twitter Space with an influencer or other expert to create buzz. In this way, you can gain valuable exposure for your brand.
- Share updates: Twitter Spaces is an effective way to broadcast company news and announcements. Your users can get up-to-the-minute and relevant information.
How to Create and Join Twitter Spaces
Twitter Spaces can be joined and created in several ways.
Joining a Space
- Every existing Space has a public link that shows up in a tweet or a Twitter DM. Tapping the link takes you to the Twitter Space.
- For live Spaces, users will see a purple tab at the top of their timelines. Tapping this takes the user to Twitter Spaces.
- Twitter’s iOS app also has a separate Spaces tab. From here, you can see which Spaces are live or upcoming.
Creating a Space
- To create a Space, long-press the compose button on your Home timeline. Select the dots icon. Start your Twitter Space once you’re ready to begin speaking.
- You can add up to two co-hosts in your Twitter Space. These hosts help to moderate the audio chat. To add hosts, you need to tap the Manage Speakers icon. Find the users you would like to add, and send them an invite.
- To schedule a Space, you can long-press the compose button on your Home timeline. Select the Spaces icon. Add a name and topics for discussion. Then, tap on the Clock icon to select a date and time.
Once you and your users are within a Twitter Space, there are helpful navigational tools to use. For example, you can mute or unmute the mic, accept speakers, add emoji reactions, and share details of the Space via a tweet or a DM.
Comparison of Twitter Spaces with Other Audio Chat Room Platforms
Twitter Spaces is not the only voice chat form on social media. Here are some others that you can explore.
- Clubhouse is the pioneer in audio chat. It is available as a stand-alone app for voice chat. Users join virtual rooms with a group of speakers. Others can listen to the conversation. However, Twitter Spaces is linked to other Twitter functions. This means that users can share and react to the Space in many ways. This option is not available in Clubhouse.
- Discord is a popular cross-platform VoIP app among gamers, Web3 users and many others. It offers voice chat options. Discord has several million monthly active users. Many of them join community chat rooms. This can be a powerful feature for marketers with thriving and specialized Discord communities. On the other hand, Twitter Spaces is a general, all-purpose option.
- Mumble is an open-source and low-latency voice chat application. It is popular among gamers, with strong privacy and security features. Mumble is suited to smaller and more focused audiences who want to discuss specific issues. Twitter Spaces, in contrast, offers marketers a wider reach.
Whether it is Twitter Spaces or other platforms such as Twitch, Telegram, or Tiktok, Blaze is an analytics platform that helps you find ways to reach out to users with growth strategies for higher engagement and retention. To find out more, register with Blaze today.