Reddit AMAs And How They Work
Reddit has been called “the home page of the Internet”. It is a social network where thousands of communities have conversations and create connections.
One popular feature of Reddit is AMA, an acronym for “Ask Me Anything.” Reddit AMAs refer to online Q&A sessions.
Anyone can host these interviews. You will find company executives, actors, politicians, athletes, scientists, and other experts conducting Reddit AMAs.
Benefits and Opportunities of AMAs
Let us dig a little deeper into the benefits of Reddit AMAs.
- Professionals can showcase their experience, which will help them to build personal brands.
- You can reach a segmented audience that shares your interests.
- You can connect with other professionals, influencers, or enthusiasts.
- A Reddit Ask Me Anything session can be a learning experience. You can encounter new perspectives and ideas.
- Hosting Reddit AMAs facilitates personal connections, providing a platform to share stories and foster empathy.
- Reddit AMAs are a platform to connect directly with engaged communities.
- The sessions let businesses engage in conversations, answer questions, and provide insights about products and services.
- AMAs can generate buzz and provide increased brand exposure.
- By providing insightful responses, businesses can establish themselves as thought leaders.
- Reddit AMAs can be a source of feedback for product development.
Planning an AMA
You need to set up and authenticate your Reddit profile. After that, here are some points to keep in mind.
- Be familiar with past AMAs. You can find many on the AMA subreddit.
- Choose your subject carefully. Focus on topics in the news or those that offer fresh insights, as they tend to be consistently popular.
- To proceed, you are required to provide proof of your identity. The common practice is to take a photograph of yourself holding a placard. This should include personal details and a brief description of the topic you want to discuss in the Ask Me Anything (AMA) session.
- Submit a request to the subreddit moderator with your username, description, and the date and time of the AMA.
Choosing the Right Subreddit and Time
As we pointed out, Reddit has a specific subreddit for AMAs. It has over 22 million members. This subreddit is a good option to reach a large, general audience.
To reach a focused group with specific interests, search for an appropriate subreddit on the home page.
- If you represent an athletic shoe brand, you can look at r/RunningShoeGeeks.
- If your AMA is about NFTs, you can check r/NFTs.
- If you want to discuss gaming, you can consider r/truegaming.
Research shows that Reddit is most active on weekdays. The most popular time for posts is between 10 and 11 a.m. EST. For greater exposure, you can schedule your AMA during these hours. It all depends on the country and the specific subreddit.
Crafting A Compelling Title and Description
Most AMA descriptions have a similar format. “Hello, I am _____. Ask me anything about ________.”
Mention special credentials and qualifications. Spell out the topics to attract the attention of those interested.
For example: “I am Todd Snyder, a New York-based menswear designer and I’m about to show my Spring collection on the runway at New York Fashion Week. AMA!”
Promoting an AMA for Wider Reach
After choosing the topic, time, and title, here are some steps to promote your AMA.
- Share details on social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or Instagram.
- Contact influencers or experts who might be interested in your AMA. Endorsements can increase your reach and credibility.
- Ask the moderators of related subreddits to cross-post or promote your AMA.
- Engage in relevant discussions and contributions on the subreddit before your AMA. This policy will establish your presence and generate interest.
Also read, Reddit Communities: How to Find and Engage with Them
Conducting and Managing the AMA
Begin your AMA with an introduction to who you are and the subject matter. Provide relevant background information.
Authenticity is the best policy. Try not to aggressively promote products or points of view. Share insights and experiences and conduct meaningful discussions.
Be active and timely in monitoring the questions.
If there are many questions, answer those that have the most upvotes or are the most insightful. Check with moderators about specific rules or formats.
Tackling Challenging Questions
During some Reddit AMAs, a few questions and responses can be critical and disagreeable.
It is best to respond professionally. Avoid engaging in personal attacks or arguments. Stay calm and use tact.
Acknowledge the questions, voice your disagreement, and provide a thoughtful response. You should maintain a frank and respectful tone throughout.
Following Up After the AMA
Use the AMA as the starting point for building relationships and boosting community engagement. Here are some ways to do this.
- Create a post that thanks participants and summarizes the main takeaways of the AMA.
- Answer any interesting questions that you may have missed. Respond to comments.
- Share additional links and resources.
- Share a link to the AMA on other platforms.
- Assess what worked and what didn’t as a guide for future Reddit AMAs.
Reddit AMAs are one of the consistently popular features of the platform. They can benefit both individuals and organizations. Have a clear objective in mind, do your homework, and make sure you answer relevant questions with authenticity.
At Blaze, we help you craft strategies for higher engagement and retention. To find out more, register with Blaze at https://dashboard.withblaze.app/signup